Here is simple but tasty salad that is great as a canapé in Chinese spoons or as a lovely entrée or light lunch.
It’s a great recipe in many ways…..have a quick read, I have put a few tips below…
- 2 Duck legs
- 1 cup Wombok—finely sliced
- 1 small onion—finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot—julienne
- 1 clove garlic—crushed
- Hoisin Sauce—to taste
- Chinese 5 spice powder
- Watercress—pick and wash
Set oven to 160c. Rub duck with 5 spice salt & pepper and a little oil and roast for around an hour until golden and tender. Once cool, remove meat from the bone and shred with your fingers.
Heat a wok or frypan and add a little oil . Add all vegetables & sauté until they are lightly cooked, add shredded duck and warm through. Off the heat add salt & pepper, 5 spice,and hoisin sauce to taste. Just before serving mix through the picked sprigs of watercress.
Place generous tablespoon full servings into Chinese spoons and top with Peninsula Larder’s Blackcurrant Flavour Pearls.
Best served with good friends and a glass of Sparkling with a sprinkling of Tangerine Flavour Pearls for ‘POP’
TIPS and TRICKS….
- Pre cook your duck a day or two before your party, no point rushing at the last minute!
- Buy your duck already cooked – there are some great pre cooked duck products at the supermarket these days, some Peking Duck would be a delicious alternative.
- You can have your vegetables sautéed off in advance too…Just warm them through in a fry pan again before serving and then add in your greens.
- If you cant get your hands on watercress or just don’t like it substitute with a leafy green that makes you happy….coriander, parsley, spring onion.
Until next time
Rodney & Fiona
Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time.Jules Renard