Fresh seafood, simply seared with burst of sharp clean White Balsamic Flavour Pearls
and a rich Ratatouille base…Easy to prepare ahead of time and just sear your seafood to order.
What you will need…
- Scallops – fresh is best. Allow 2 per person
- Red Mullet (Snapper would be lovely too) fillet – allow 150g per person
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- White Balsamic Flavour Pearls x 1 50g jar
- Ratatouille – recipe below. Can be made a few days in advance and just warmed before serving
- Micro herbs or some other fresh green
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant – small dice
- 1 garlic clove – finely chopped/crushed
- 2 small zucchini – small dice
- 1/4 bunch thyme – leaves picked
- 1 small onion – small dice
- 1 red capsicum – small dice
- 500 g tomatoes – seeded and diced
- 250 ml tomato juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a generous splash of oil in a frying pan over low heat and add the eggplant and one-third of the garlic. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until tender. Tip into a large bowl.
Return the pan to the heat and add more oil. Add the zucchini, another third of the garlic, half the thyme and some salt and pepper. Sauté until tender, then add to the bowl with the eggplant.
Add more oil to the pan and sauté the onion, capsicum and remaining garlic and thyme until tender.
Combine all the cooked vegetables in a pot. Add the tomatoes and juice and simmer gently for around ½ hour. Remove from the heat, taste for seasoning.
When it’s time to eat (around 20 minutes before)
- pop the oven on to 200c
- Season and lightly oil your seafood
- Heat your fry pan and have a tray nearby to go in the oven
- Have your ratatouille in a saucepan to heat up
Add the fish skin side down in the pan and cook until the skin is becoming slightly coloured and a little crisped. Remove the fish carefully from the pan a place skin side up on the tray and put in the oven. Cooking time depends on how thick your fish is…likely only around 5 or so minutes.
Turn the heat on to warm your ratatouille.
Add the seasoned scallops to the hot pan and cook until coloured on both sides and just cooked.
Next is the plate up, simple add your seafood onto a nice spoonful of ratatouille, top with White Balsamic Flavour Pearls and add a few herbs for contrast.
**If you’ve just come across this recipe and the flavour is no longer available take a peek at our other flavours HERE There are plenty of others to choose from.
Until next time
Enjoy…from the Peninsula Larder Team
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.”
― Oscar Wilde,